buber.net > Basque > Folklore > The Ikurrina
For security reasons, user contributed notes have been disabled.
The Basque Flag
by Xabier Ormaetxea and Blas Uberuaga
The Basque flag was created in 1894 by Sabino Arana (founder of Basque nationalism). The name of the flag is ikurrina (in Italian ikurrigna). Although the meaning of this word is flag, it is actually used only for the Basque flag; Basque people prefer to use the Spanish word bandera for other flags (when they are speaking in Basque, of course).
The ikurrina was originally created only for Bizkaia (the main region of Euskadi), but it became very popular and the rest of the Basque regions (4 regions in Spain and 3 in France) accepted it as the flag for all of Euskadi. In the begining only the Basque Nationalist Party (founded by Sabino Arana on July 31st, 1895) used it, but during the 2nd Spanish Republic (1931-1939) all of the democratic parties accepted it. In 1936, the Basque Autonomous Government was created (it's Lehendakari (president) was Jose Antonio Agirre) with representation of all the democratic parties, and the ikurrina was declared, by law, the Basque flag.
After the Spanish war, the dictatorship declared the ikurrina illegal, and it was completely forbiden and declared as a separatist symbol. During the 2nd World War there was a Basque brigade in the French free army, and the ikurrina of the brigade was condecorated ( because of the battle of Point de Grave, near Burdeaux).
After the last Spanish dictatorship, and with the approval of the Basque autonomy, the ikurrina was declared again by law as the official Basque flag.
In the Basque-French country, it has always been allowed and after World War II it was officially used in the town halls together with the French flag.
Significance of the ikurrina:
The green St. Andrew's cross: In the Middles Ages (year 867), there was a battle between the Basques and the Spaniards in a place called Padura. This battle was on St. Andrew's day. The stones of the place were stained with blood and since that day that place has been called Arrigorriaga (Place of red stones). It is not clear if this battle is historical or legendary, but the St. Andrew's cross has often been used in Basque flags, like those of the Consulate of Bilbao, The Naval flag of Biscay, and in some Carlists flags during the Carlists wars (1836-1876).
Measurements and proportions:
Xabier Ormaetxea (email@example.com)
Blas Uberuaga (firstname.lastname@example.org)